Thursday, August 13, 2009

What happens when you die?


seymour and me
Originally uploaded by brickhouse frog
So this is not a discussion on "the after life" ... this is my thoughts on those left behind.

In this picture is one of my very dear friends "Seymour". He and I chat almost every day, hardly does he venture in World, but on occasion. I know about his life, he knows about mine. While granted he has my phone # and I have his, we rarely chat on the phone.

So I stop and wonder, what happens when someone dies. I mean you have all these "virtual" friends, that are good friends, they really are, but what happens when something tragic happens. For example, a good friend of mine, quit hearing from someone very close to her. Weeks went by and she was worried sick. Fortunately, the person clearing out this estate went through his emails and found my friends, or she would have never known he passed away.

Another friend of mine, lost communications with a friend of his. No response to emails, texts, etc. Fortunately, this has a good ending. The person was found! However in the meantime worry took over that something had happened.

What are your plans? If something happens to you... how will your 'virtual' friends know? While we all are seemingly close, it's not RL and we don't know what tomorrow holds. LOL my plans are simple, just watch my facebook, you'll know.

Make some plans, and know beyond a doubt that SOMEONE will miss you if something happens. You are important.

/me hugs all my virtual friends tight

1 comment:

Anya said...

When M and I were involved, I didn't have any way to contact him except in world, which was frustrating. When he disappeared for weeks on end it drove me crazy. A few years ago someone I knew only through ICQ just poofed, and I still don't know what happened to him, though I suspect.

I had this conversation with Abstract several weeks ago. Of course we talk all the time on the phone, through IMs and in world, but we're just us, without the RL involvement of other people. So we made a contingency plan, which consisted of me giving him the name and number of a contact (I should probably give you that, too, huh?) and am waiting on him to select his emergency contact to give to me.

Hope you got yours.