Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What is Real Music Anyway??


smoking gun2
Originally uploaded by brickhouse frog
So I follow this one particular musicians blog... but it's kind of like a train wreck, I can't stand to look but I can't look away. You see, said musician, thinks he is THE only real musician in SL, and thinks he deserves all the accolades. He also thinks that if you don't perform originals, you basically suck. I really only read his blog because he and I have a mutual feeling about a particular person in SL... and that's all I'll say on that subject.

For morbid curiosity one day, I went to his gig, there was about 5 people there, counting me, and the venue owner and the musician. Hey, you know everyone has an off day. But being that he thinks he is THE premiere musician in SL (mind you there now hundreds of musicians in SL) I figured he must draw a decent crowd, so I again went to his gig...

First of all, I am very disappointed in the venue owner for allowing this man on her stage. I thought she had better taste in music... But I won't tell you who, as I really like this person.

Second, it happened again, only this time I think there was 7 of us. Ok, so he doesn't pack them in like Maximillion Kleene or Skye or well just about anyone else who doesn't do only originals. I turned on my stream... There was some horrid noise. I thought maybe there was a cat in heat outside of my window, it certainly couldn't be this musician. I turned off my sound, the horrid noise went away... perplexed I turned on the sound again... there was the noise. I asked a friend of mine who is a musician to tp over, he couldn't but asked me for the stream... He never did comment.

I couldn't stay any longer... but also in recent days, there has been one particular musician who has been telling me I know nothing about music.

Well, that could be further than the truth. You see, my mother is a music major, as well as her mother. My mother plays almost every instrument known to man (with a few exceptions) as did her mother. I was raised on classical music, from Bach to Brahms. Unfortunately for me, I did not get my mom's vocal talents, they went to my brother. Now I can play instruments, I just at the moment don't have the time. So please, I may, in your eyes, only be a musicians manager/rep/pr/Rolodex, etc... but I know music. Stop looking down your nose at me, or you might find yourself seriously sorry.

No comments: