Thursday, June 25, 2009

SL Live Music

I follow a musicians blog who thinks singers in sl should be just like him.... all originals, and playing their own music. According to him, it's a god-forsaken sin, if you use backing tracks or god-forbid you plug your instrument in.

Now I guess outta morbid curiosity I went to see one of his (in his words) highly acclaimed gigs the other day, hey I was bored. Well apparently it was a good thing I went as he had a total of 4 people there that were not in fact listening to him, but were talking about their cats litterbox habits. I also noticed that this so called "amazing" musician didn't know how to control their sounds right as I had to keep adjusting my volume.

I have said it before, but apparently it bares repeating. Not everyone in SL should sing. Just because you know how to stream doesn't give you the right to stream. This self-proclaimed amazing musician, is not. I was highly disappointed. And dude, a crowd of 4, is NOT a crowd.

I was talking to a new friend the other day and we both remember when SL Live Musicians were NOT a dime a dozen. There was a select few, Jackdog Snook, Freestar, etc. People clamored to get to these gigs, because 1, the music was amazing and 2, there wasn't much of it.

Since SL is mostly what you make of it (until LL comes along and tells you you are wrong), I would MUCH rather go see someone who uses backing tracks than go see an "original" artist like the one I did yesterday. Take for example, Reallymad Morpork or ZDiva Sorbet, both use backing tracks, both amazing vocalists, both incredibly entertaining (where else can a man say ... touch my balls and get away with it).

Take someone like AcousticEnergy Nitely or Maximillion Kleene, both play originals, both play just their guitar (or some drum machine), both absolutely amazing musicians. They always have between 20-60 avs at a show... now that is amazing original artist. This one who wrote his blog, that has I believe one follower (me, again, morbid curiosity), when the fans speak, this is what they want. Not a self proclaimed Ass who thinks he can sing.

If musicians and venue owners would stop slamming each other and work together, SL music could be what it once was. I'd love to weed out those that think they can sing, or the noobs who can't walk but think they can come in and have a huge audience when no one has heard them. Let them pay their dues, like everyone else.

Now as for venue owners, when you hire an amazing musician, then are disappointed because you deem this musicians originals as crude, maybe you need to learn what the musician is about. This particular musician I speak of has been around SL for a very long time and if the venue owner is too stupid to have never heard him or gone to one of his shows, than that's his fault. This musician brought in countless avs to his show, they tipped the venue, and will probably come back, who knows maybe they went shopping. But come on, when you hire someone know what they are about. The audience loves this musician and follows him around the grid. Don't blame the musician for his alleged crudeness, I have heard a lot worse! A lot! You can't have originals and complain, make up your minds

ok that was my ramblings for the day

No comments: