Some people may wonder what it entails to be a Musician Manager... Let me share some background with you and maybe some insight.
Back over 2 years ago, Live Music in Secondlife is not what it is today. There were a handful of really good artists (most of whom still play today) and some more who weren't as good. There were a handful of venues, not many, but a few. Most venues were not in it to make money, but for the joy that music brought to their lives, and those around them. Take for example, the venue I ran with my then "SL Brother" Ford Bebb... "The Brass Frog", we had one of the most sought after venues in SL because we only let the best of the best in. It is in fact where I met Reallymad Morpork, and ZDiva, and yes auditions were mandatory. It is also where I met some truly talented musicians who are still my friends today, including Allister Westland, Erin68 Frog and Satin Galli, Jackdog Snook and Rara Destiny, to name a few. Unfortunately running a venue, esp. then, was really not easy and due to unforeseen circumstances the Brass Frog is no more.
Also two years ago, (ouch maybe more) managers were few and far between, there were maybe 5 really, really good managers. Throughthesewalls Moody (MNP), Ocean, Kat Vargas (CYD Records) to name a few. Well, one day Jackdog Snook took me to meet AcousticEnergy Nitely (AE), some "noob" who thought he could sing (well he can) and AE and I hit it off almost instantly. Now at the time, I was not a musicians manager, and had no inclination to become one, but knew how to run a venue. AE and I got talking one day, and he asked me to manage him (or I asked him, I don't remember). Thus the start of BAF Productions (if you are wondering BAF stands for Bad Ass Frog).
Over time, I have managed a myriad of musicians, of whom, Reallymad Morpork is still hanging with me (I guess I haven't cracked my whip hard enough or we are really amazing friends or he likes me moving his balls... whatever it is, I'm glad he is still with me after almost 2 years). Some musicians require more time than I can give them, for example AMForte Clarity wanted a lot more gigs during times I was not in world. You might be surprised if you have only gotten to know me who I have repped in 2 years. I love all my musos and only want the best for them. I understand sometimes I am not what they need, and want them to have only what makes them grow.
So... my day as a manager does not always involve being actually in SL. I am accessible to my musicians 24/7, they all have my cell phone number, email, messenger, etc. Whatever they need, I am there for them. I only take on a few musicians at a time so I can be supportive for them.
During my day, I check my email frequently (shhh from work) so that if I get an offline regarding bookings, I can email the venue owner back straight away. If I am in world, and maybe hanging out with my friends or doing pictures, and I get an IM from my musicians or from a venue, I stop what I'm doing and take care of them. On "off" days, I search out venue owners, and new venues for my musicians to gig at. Checking calendars, schedules etc requires sometimes a lot of time.. and juggling several calendars at once. Yes sometimes I muff up a calendar, I am only human er um pixels. Truly there is not much I wouldn't do for my musicians... One musician texts me when they are at the doctors waiting and says "entertain me" so of course I do.
Would I stop being a manager? No! Now don't get me wrong, I have thought about it, threatened two of my musicians that I was, but in the end, I love what I do. Truly I hate the word Manager, because in fact I work for them, I am there for support, so that in the end, all they should have to do is get up and sing. From talking w/the venue owner, to helping out w/streaming issues, to doing notices and having fun w/the crowd. I like the word "assistant" better, personal assistant really fits. My musicians are all really good friends of mine and if they all got together and decided to stop paying me well I would still help them out (and move in with them with my shoes and hair).
I have paid my dues, I have been a manager for over 2 years in SL, I know what it's like. Truly I resent the fact that one musician (not one of mine) calls managers worthless, and scum. I resent that "musician" who says "karaoke" singers in SL are horrid and not real talent (I dare him to say that to Pavarotti who basically is no different that a "karaoke" singer, although they probably don't know who that is). To him I say if we are so worthless, then why do my musicians have a crowd and he has 3 at gigs??
I am privileged and blessed to call ALL of my musicians my friends... even the ones I don't rep any more, are still my friends. For those people with hopes and dreams of starting production companies or "management" companies, I say good luck to you. Maybe you should thank those of us who have scraped and pushed to have live music what it is today. To AcousticEnergy Nitely, Reallymad Morpork, ZDiva Sorbet, Jackdog Snook, Rara Destiny, AMForte Clarity, Lehman Shinn, LadyScarlett, Esme Fenwitch, Diesel Karillon, Angel Stormwind, and those I may have missed... To those that went before me, Ocean, Moody, Kat and the others... To the venue owners who have hosted my musicians ... To my hostess'/hosts who fill in and take care of my musicians when I cant'... Also to Tangle and Bones for running Trax... To Sparkin Nightfire (the original, who introduced me to Jackdog Snook) and Ford Bebb... THANK YOU FOR making me who I am today...
Thank you to Sammie Gabardini who always helping me when you can to run our production company and caring for the musicians like I do.
As ZDiva says, "loves to you all", see you soon at a live music event soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment